Monday 30 April 2012

Mascara Monday. The Battle of Mascaras. L'Oréal Volume Million Lashes versus BeautyUK Lash-Fx

Today, I am very excited to introduce you to Jade, blogging at Beauty Butterfly Blog, who has kindly volunteered to review not one but 2 mascaras for me. I love Jade’s blog, I love her honesty and her clear in depth reviews.
Take it away, Jade!



001-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx


I’m a bit of a mascara junkie if I’m honest, I’ve been searching for the perfect lengthening mascara for absolutely ages and so far I’ve found a few that I like but I’m just not sure they’re perfect; in the meantime I’ve been testing two mascaras which Liloo very kindly sent to me. I’ve given them a good few weeks so hopefully my views are as balanced and honest as possible!

I’ll start with the L’oréal Volume Million mascara in the shade Amethyst (a purple/plum shade), what I’ll start by saying is that this is meant for hazel eyes and as you can see mine are more blue/green but I don’t think it affects my review in terms of the aspects I’m going to address; colour is irrelevant to me, in my mind the product should be exactly the same no matter what colour.


002-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx

003-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx


As you can see the tube is quite fat but squared at the top which I have to admit doesn’t make for the most comfortable application; I like something I can get a good grip of and I found it a bit difficult with this! Nevertheless to look at the wand itself it’s made up of lots of tiny little plastic knobbles; presumably to catch every lash humanly possible upon application. I have to admit I do prefer brushes rather than the little knobbles but I’m willing to work with whatever if it works!


004-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx

005-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx



The above photos are a before and after of what my lashes look like with this product; L'Oreal claim that Volume Million Lashes should make your lashes up to 3 times thicker, what do you think?
I’m not convinced; although it is obvious that I have used some form of mascara the product hasn’t separated my lashes as much as I hoped it would and it was really quite difficult to apply enough to get a good coverage over each lash. Admittedly it’s not a clumpy mascara and it didn’t smudge all over the place through the day but still the wand is just a bit too bulky for me and didn’t create the desired effect, yes it did separate the lashes at the ends but I just feel like it clumped them up nearer the waterline and it was a little too difficult to remove for my liking considering it isn’t a waterproof mascara!

Bottom Line: Would I buy?
No I wouldn’t, but for those of you who have quite sparse lashes this could be the one for you; I look for length rather than volume you see. This is £10.99 and can be purchased from Boots and Superdrug.


The second mascara I’m going to review is from the lower end of high street makeup; Beauty UK. This is an absolute bargain at £2.49 and I was excited to see if such a cheap mascara could offer me anything. The packaging isn’t anything sparkling just very simple; black with white writing. The one I’ve tried is called ‘Lash FX’ which supposedly helps achieve volume, length and lift; quite a bold statement for £2.49 I’d say!

006-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx

007-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx


I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by this product; the wand is the traditional wand which I’ve come to know and love using because I think it coats my lashes with ease and doesn’t get everywhere unlike some plastic wands. The thickness of the handle is also ideal for me; it fits really nice in my hand making this a pleasure to apply.

I’ll admit, I wasn’t expecting great things from this because I’ve used a Beauty UK eyeshadow palette before and I really wasn’t impressed; I’m very much of the opinion that you ‘get what you pay for’ and there are very few products which go against that.

 
008-mascara-review-loreal-million-lashes-beauty-uk-lash-fx


Although I wasn’t completely wowed by this mascara, I have found a very handy use for this product. You may know of Clinique’s Bottom Lash mascara, priced at around £20, well this has become my perfect bottom lash mascara. Because this doesn’t volumise the lashes that much it means that the product doesn’t clump your bottom lashes like some; I know when I use my usual mascaras I stay away from my bottom lashes because they end up looking spidery. Because the wand is so soft it really is a dream for my bottom lashes; I’d probably go as far as to wear this mascara on the top and bottom for a ‘no makeup’ makeup look. However, I stand by the fact that this for me is perfect for bottom lashes.

Bottom Line: Would I buy?

Yes I would, and so should you! At £2.49 it doesn’t break the bank and you never know you may also find that this is perfect for you and your bottom lashes. You can buy this from Superdrug or from the Beauty UK Website.

--------------------------------------------------------
by Jade, from Beauty Butterfly Blog.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the 1st mascara

Anonymous said...

Great post, like the first one on you!

Anonymous said...

I love the Lumizer! I think it's the best mascara I've probably tried!

girl_upnorth said...

If the first mascara was in black I'd probably love that one!!

Who makes Lumizer? I've never heard of it!!

Thanks for your comments
xx

Leave a comment ...